Educational Tax Credit (1098-T)

Iowa State University must file Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement for each student it enrolls and for whom a reportable transaction is made

There are 4 exceptions

  • Courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program
  • Nonresident alien students, unless requested by the student
  • Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships
  • Students for whom AR does not maintain a separate financial account and whose qualified tuition and related expense are covered by a formal billing arrangement between an institution and the student's employer or a governmental entity such as the Department of Veterans Affairs or the Department of Defense


The 1098-T form can be found in AccessPlus under the Student tab and the Tax Info 1098 option.


The 1098-T form is available by the second week in January each year.


Probably not. Student's tax forms are made available on AccessPlus.

For basic questions about the figures reported on the 1098-T you may contact the Accounts Receivable Office at 515-294-7388 or However if you questions about tax filing or how to use the 1098-T form, we will refer you to consult with your tax preparer or IRS Publication 970.


The Accounts Receivable staff are not tax preparers and therefore we encourage you to refer to IRS Publication 970 or reach out to a professional tax preparer for guidance.