Educational Tax Credit (1098-T)

Iowa State University must file Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement for each student it enrolls and for whom a reportable transaction is made

There are 4 exceptions

  • Courses for which no academic credit is offered, even if the student is otherwise enrolled in a degree program
  • Nonresident alien students, unless requested by the student
  • Students whose qualified tuition and related expenses are entirely waived or paid entirely with scholarships
  • Students for whom AR does not maintain a separate financial account and whose qualified tuition and related expense are covered by a formal billing arrangement between an institution and the student's employer or a governmental entity such as the Department of Veterans Affairs or the Department of Defense


Where can I get my 1098-T form?

The 1098t form can be found in AccessPlus under the Student tab and the Tax Info 1098 option


When will my 1098-T form be available?

The 1098t form is available by the second week in January each year


Will my 1098-T form be mailed out?

Nearly all students have at some point agreed to get the 1098t electronically and are not mailed out. Please go to AccessPlus to get your 1098t form


I have questions about the information on my 1098-T, who do I contact?

For basic questions about the figures reported on the 1098t you may contact the Accounts Receivable Office at 515-294-7388 or However if you questions about tax filing or how to use the 1098t form we recommend and we will refer you to consult with your tax preparer or IRS Publication 970


How do I use the information on my 1098-T for filing my taxes?

We are not tax preparers, please refer to IRS Publication 970 for how to use your 1098t